The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet has some reminders for 127 Yard Sale shoppers & other motorists.
First and foremost:
- No sales or parking on state right of way. It is a safety hazard and also illegal under KRS.177.106. The Cabinet wants to ensure that drivers have the proper amount of sight distance for intersections, driveway entrances and curves. Any encroachment on state right of way requires a permit from the cabinet.
- Watch for parked cars, slowed traffic and vehicles turning into or out of side streets and driveways.
- Park a safe distance from the highway, preferably outside a 22-foot “recovery zone” extending from the white line on the pavement edge. This area gives motorists room in which to maneuver in case of trouble.
- Watch for pedestrians, and especially for children and pets in the area of yard sales.
- Use seat belts, obey posted speed limits and other traffic laws, and refrain from drinking and driving.